Aspen Avionics has received the FAA supplemental type certificate for its updated line of Evolution MAX primary and multi-function displays, which look similar to previous Aspen EFIS units but have been redesigned with new electronics and glass.
Aspen says the Evolution MAX series displays offer a brighter display, improved reliability and features pilots have been asking for, such as bigger fonts and windows and faster processing speeds. The products retain Aspen’s unique form factor design that can replace a pair of round electromechanical instruments to keep installation costs low.
“Customers purchasing the new Evolution MAX displays get more functions, safety features and improved reliability priced below the MSRP of Aspen’s legacy Evolution displays,” the company said in a press release. Evolution MAX units and MAX upgrade units are now shipping.
The MAX display upgrade program lets current owners of Aspen equipment upgrade their existing Aspen EFIS system regardless of age or condition and receive the latest MAX technology, as well as receive a new two-year warranty, for the “approximate cost of a steam gauge overhaul.”
Buyers of the Aspen displays can also remove their existing vacuum back-up systems if they upgrade from a single Aspen Pro MAX PFD to an Evolution 2000 MAX system [Pro MAX PFD, MFD1000 MAX multi-function display (MFD)] or to an Evolution 2500 system (Pro MAX PFD, MFD1000 MAX, MFD500 MAX), if an optional external battery is purchased, the company noted.
Aspen offers the upgrade path from the EFD1000 E5 Electronic Flight Instrument (EFI), starting at the list price of $4,995.
“We’re not aware of any manufacturer in this industry that offers this type of upgrade program”, said John Uczekaj, Aspen president and CEO. “Our corporate philosophy from the time we introduced the Evolution 1000 PFD 12 years ago was to offer new functions and safety features our current customers could adopt affordably, and provide future owners the peace of mind that their investment is protected as technology evolves.”
Pricing for the new units breaks down as follows:
New Evolution MAX pricing:
- Single Evolution 1000 PFD MAX – $9,995
- Evolution 1000 Pro Plus MAX PFD (includes synthetic vision and angle of attack) – $13,485
- Evolution MFD1000 MAX Multi-function display – $8,995
- Evolution MFD500 MAX Multi-function display – $5,495
Fixed-wing multi-display system pricing:
- Evolution 1500 (EFD1000 Pro MAX PFD, MFD500 MAX Multi-function display) – $13,995
- Evolution 2000 (EFD1000 Pro MAX PFD, MFD1000 MAX Multi-function display) – $16,995*
- Evolution 2500 (EFD1000 Pro MAX PFD, MFD1000 MAX, 500 MAX MFD) – $19,995*
(* add $1,000 External Battery)
Evolution MAX upgrade pricing:
- Single Evolution 1000 PFD MAX – $4,995
- Evolution 1500/2000 MAX – $6,995 (EFD1000 Pro MAX PFD with MFD500 or MAX1000 MFD)
- Evolution 2500 MAX – $7,995 (EFD1000 Pro MAX PFD, MFD1000 MAX, MFD500 MAX MFD)
According to Aspen, these are the key features of the MAX series:
- GPS-aided AHRS in the event of a pitot-static failure
- New, vibrant colors with the latest aviation glass
- Higher reliability and faster refresh rates with the latest generation processors
- Audio panel interface
- Chart and countdown timers available on MFD500 and MFD1000 MAX MFDs
- 350-nm zoom levels on MFD500 and MFD1000 MAX MFDs
- Height above ground level (AGL) on navigation and terrain maps on MFD500 and MFD1000 MAX MFDs
- Metar flags on the navigation map on MFD500 and MFD1000 MAX MFDs
- Altitude intercept based on climb rate
- Font and window enlargement capability
- Large, 6.0″ diagonal, 400 x 760 pixel TFT active-matrix LCD screen with bolder and brighter resolution
- 16 million display colors
- Works with existing avionics
- Patented, unique form-fit design slides into existing panel cutouts
- Approved for installation in more than 600 aircraft types
The Evolution MAX displays are available for purchase now through Aspen’s dealer network.