Report: Avionics Sales Increased 6.5 Percent in 2021

The AEA report said more than half of the avionics sales in 2021 came from the retrofit market. [FLYING Archives]

Avionics sales worldwide for business and general aviation totaled more than $2.3 billion in 2021, according to the Aircraft Electronics Association’s (AEA) year-end Avionics Market Report released this week.  

Owing to increasing sales of new and used aircraft, aircraft manufacturers, independent operators, and owners drove avionics sales up 6.5 percent in 2021 compared to 2020. In fact, 2021 fourth-quarter sales grew as much as 7.4 percent compared to the same period in 2020.

[Courtesy: Aircraft Electronics Association]

More than half—54.6 percent—of the $2.3 billion in sales came from the retrofit market, and the other 45.4 percent from forward-fits. Sales in North America were three times—75.2 percent—those in international markets, which stood at 24.8 percent. 

More broadly, since the quarter that included March 2020 when travel came to a halt, the six consecutive quarters have been marked by increasing sales. 

In a statement, AEA president and CEO Mike Adamson said, "As the industry continues to recover from the initial jolt of the pandemic, avionics manufacturers are now dealing with supply chain issues that may impact sales through 2022. As a result, many OEMs are engaged in ongoing and proactive communications with their dealers and navigating through increasing lead times for some products."

Sales are now closer to mean pre-pandemic levels over the past decade, which averaged $2.4 billion since 2012. Participating companies began separating total sales into retrofit/forward-fit sales in 2013.

[Courtesy: Aircraft Electronics Association]

FLYING reported in January that MRO facilities were beginning to note these supply chain issues as general and business aviation travel trends shifted. 

Michael Wildes holds a master’s degree in Logistics & Supply Chain Management, and a bachelor’s degree in Aeronautical Science, both from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. Previously, he worked at the university’s flight department as a Flight Check Airman, Assistant Training Manager, and Quality Assurance Mentor. He holds MEI, CFI & CFII ratings. Follow Michael on Twitter @Captainwildes.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Get the latest FLYING stories delivered directly to your inbox

Subscribe to our newsletter