The U.S. military is preparing for potentially weekslong operations against Iran if President Donald Trump gives the order to attack, Reuters reported.
Citing two U.S. officials with knowledge of the matter, the news outlet said the military’s planning could include airstrikes against Iranian state and security facilities, not just nuclear sites, which America has targeted before, notably in Operation Midnight Hammer last year.
It was not immediately clear which aircraft, if any, were being considered for the possible operations.
Midnight Hammer involved B-2 stealth bombers—which fired “bunker buster” bombs at Iranian nuclear infrastructure—as well as F-35s, F-22s, and a number of refueling and surveillance aircraft.
The Trump administration fully expects Iran to retaliate if attacked, the sources told Reuters. Tehran would likely target U.S. bases in the region, including in Iraq, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates.
Trump has publicly floated the idea of airstrikes and even regime change in Iran if the country does not agree to curtail its nuclear program. The two sides are expected to continue negotiations in Switzerland on Tuesday, with officials from Oman serving as intermediaries.
The U.S. is believed to be sending its largest aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R. Ford, and its strike group to the Middle East to increase pressure on the Iranian government. It is expected to join the USS Abraham Lincoln, which is already patrolling the waters south of Iran.
The Gerald R. Ford can carry up to 90 aircraft, including the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, EA-18G Growler, and F-35C.
Trump has repeatedly expressed aversion to using “ground forces” in potential conflict zones, raising the likelihood of air- and sea-based engagements.
The Pentagon declined to comment on Reuters’ report, and the White House said only that the president has “all options on the table with regard to Iran.”
