Space Day 2013
When:May 11, 2013
Roper Mountain Science Center
402 Roper Mountain RoadGreenville, SC, 29615
Space Day is an award-winning educational initiative that seeks to advance science, technology, engineering, and mathematics education. It also helps to inspire young people to realize the vision of our space pioneers.
Featured guest speaker will be Tony Rice, a Solar System Ambassador with NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. The event is sponsored by Lockheed Martin, a Space Day partner and founder.
Additional Space Day 2013 Activities include:
• Aloft pilot Tom Mullinax will tether his beautiful rainbow-checked hot air balloon in Roper Mountain’s farm meadow!
• Aloft volunteers will inspire future aviators with a hands-on activity on the construction and science of hot air balloons.
• Engineers from Lockheed Martin will launch model rockets, rocket balloons, and answer questions about rocketry and Lockheed’s participation in the Space Program.
• Lockheed Martin Engineers host a Rocket Engineering Design Challenge!
• Pilots with Airwolf Aviation Services will assist visitors in folding paper planes and point out the similarities between paper planes and real airplanes while answering questions regarding becoming a pilot and the principals of flight.
• Earth Fare located at 3620 Pelham Road will be providing a “Make your own moon dirt station”. Healthy treats will get kids excited about healthy snacking! The store will also provide coupons worth extra savings to parents!
Other activities will include live solar viewing in the Daniel Observatory (weather permitting), and the new Flight Adventures planetarium show in the Hooper Planetarium. Skilled amateur astronomers will be on hand to demonstrate and discuss telescopes. Astronomer and Meteorite collector, Mike Parker will share his meteorite collection with visitors.
Admission is: $5 for children (age 5-12); $6 for teens and adults (ages 13-59); and $5 for senior citizens (age 60 and over). All events are included in the general admission to the Center. No admission is charged for children 4 and under or RMSC Association members.
For further information, please call the Center at (864) 355-8900 or visit www.ropermountain.org