Piper Super Cub
With the FAA designator PA-18, the Super Cub replaced the Cub Special in late 1949. The original model had no flaps, but they were added in 1950. Piper started offering it with a 90 hp Continental or 115 hp Lycoming engine, but the most successful one was the 150 or 160 hp Lycoming O-320. Dual wing tanks gave a total fuel capacity of 36 gallons. Piper built more than 10,000 until production ended in 1994.
Frank Christensen loved the Super Cub so much that he wanted to take over the design during Piper’s production pause in the 1980s. When his attempt to purchase the Super Cub failed, Christensen decided to engineer his own “huskier” version of the airplane. His rag-and-tube Husky was certified in 1987. With engine selections ranging from 160 to 200 horsepower, the Husky does well in the backcountry.